28 March 2008

A Little Girl Dreams Of Taking The Veil

I was reading the Queen Mab speech again and it keeps making me think of a collage-novel by Max Ernst called "A Little Girl Dreams Of Taking The Veil." They aren't really related, but they deal with many of the same themes: nightmares, innocence/loss of innocence, sex with a very young girl, a priest of questionable character, a bridegroom who leaves, violence.

I have a copy somewhere. If we ever unpack, I'll bring it around. I found a website where someone scanned in a few of the images. It doesn't tell the whole story-- but you'll get the flavor.

What I like about it is how nightmarish it is. I hope while we are looking for the comedy in R&J we don't let go of the danger and terror and ugliness. I think these things are important.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

W.O.W. That is some messed up junk. I love it, and I can see why Queen Mab reminds you of it. I wish we could do a slide show of these for Mercutio's mental interior.

Heather said...

Yes, I don't want to let go of the tragedy of the events either.

These are very disturbing images.

Yea, disturbing images.

grey said...

I wasn't talking about the tragedy :)